The ruin Leuchtenburg/Castelchiaro
Even though not technically part of Kaltern municipality, the ruins of Leuchtenburg are surrounded by legends and are, to all effects, part of the ensemble of Kaltern.
Built in 1250 by the Lords of Rottenburg, it was protected by its location and an imposing circular wall. Many of the Rottenburg castles were destroyed after their conflict with Duke Friedrich IV. of Tryol in 1410. Yet the Leuchtenburg was transferred to the sovereign that lent it out to the respective captains in Kaltern. For a long period of time, the Leuchtenburg was also the seat of the Judge of Kaltern. In the 17th century, the location stopped being used and was left to fall in ruins. Parts of the circular wall and the Palace with the 15th century frescoes are still preserved.