Book now

Children's age (upon arrival)

Our services.

  • Any doubt or further question?
  • Market Square39052 Caldaro/KalternAlt Adige/South Tyrol/ITALY
  • Phone: +39 0471 963 169F. +39 0471 963469E. info@caldaro.info
  • Opening hours from November 5th 2018 to April 5th 2019Monday to Thursday8 a.m. to 12.30 p.m., 1.30 p.m. to 5 p.m.Friday8 a.m. to 12.30 p.mClosed on Saturday and Sunday

Book now

Children's age (upon arrival)

Kaltern’s churches

Helmuth Rier_2012 Kaltern am See (118)
There are some noteworthy churches in and around Kaltern, built in the most different architectural styles, that can be partially visited.

There are some noteworthy churches in and around Kaltern, built in the most different architectural styles, that can be partially visited. You can visit some of these churches and also attend mass in many of them.

Kaltern’s churches

Maria Himmelfahrt parish church

Maria Himmelfahrt parish church
Maria Himmelfahrt parish church

You can recognise the parish church from afar thanks to its 72.5-m-tall gothic bell tower. The small Romanic church was already mentioned in the early Middle Ages and had burnt down to nothing already in 1376. After being rebuilt in 1791 to 1793, the baroque architecture was covered by classicism. However, some baroque elements can still be found inside the Church. The ceiling paintings, by Josef Schöpf, a baroque Tyrolean painter, are most impressive.
The parish church is open every day between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.

The Franciscan cloister

The Franciscan cloister
The Franciscan cloister

The cloister was built in 1640 with the generous contribution of the local population. The cloister church was completed only 3 years later. The cloister was auctioned off in 1801 and ownership was transferred back to the Franciscan monks in 1814. Back then, a theological school was also present in the building, and the cloister admitted up to seven students. The painting of ‘Saint Anthony of Kaltern’ is noteworthy, and can be found to the right of the altar.
The Franciscan Church is open every day between 6.30 a.m. and 7 p.m.

San Antonio

San Antonio
San Antonio

Already back in the 13th century a Roman place of worship allegedly stood in the place of this now small church. These old wall remains were included in the construction of today’s San Antonio church. The church was built between mid-15th century and the start of the 16th century. The noteworthy frescoes in the Langhaus stem from the year 1380 and were painted by Bernard and Jakob, two painters from Bolzano.
San Antonio church can only be accessed during mass.

St. Roch in Pozzo

St. Roch in Pozzo
St. Roch in Pozzo

The church was built at the beginning of the 16th century probably to ward off a plague epidemic and dedicated to Saint Roch, patron and protector of plagues and other epidemics. A fresco depicting Christ can be found on the external wall dating back to 1519. Inside, you can find the oldest relief depiction of the Kaltern coat of arms, the ‘bronze pot’.
The Roch Church can be visited exclusively on 16 August.

San Niccolò

San Niccolò
San Niccolò

San Niccolò church was built in 1521. The second tower, however, was only built in 1880, as the original tower vibrated when the bells tolled. The second tower was built to avoid the first tower from collapsing. Inside the church you can find valuable frescoes by Barlmä Dill Riemschneider from 1530, as well as a representation of the Virgin Mary.
San Niccolò church is open every day between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.

San Vigilio in Castelvecchio

San Vigilio in Castelvecchio
San Vigilio in Castelvecchio

This church was built in 1491 in the late gothic style and dedicated to Saint Vigil of Trento. In the northernmost external side o the church, the remains of a fresco depicting Christ are preserved. On the western side there are other remains of a ‘Wilgefortis’ representation. Noteworthy is the neogothic winged altar from 1912 by Stanis Gruber and Jakob Mussner.
The Saint Vigil church in Castelvecchio can only be accessed during mass.

San Giuseppe al Lago

San Giuseppe al Lago
San Giuseppe al Lago

The Church of San Giuseppe was built in the 17th century and is located right on the road to Termeno. A small cemetery can be found next to the church which is surrounded by low walls. Inside you can find a marble alter featuring plaster and wooden sculptures.
San Giuseppe church can only be accessed during mass.

Saint John the Baptist in Pianizza di Sopra

Saint John the Baptist in Pianizza di Sopra
Saint John the Baptist in Pianizza di Sopra

This late gothic church was built in 1584 and maintains its current shape and was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. One of the altar pieces was crafted by Johann Degler, a gift by the Abbot Petrus von Guetrather of Tegernsee.
The church in Pianizza di Sopra can only be accessed during mass.

San Leonardo in Pianizza di Sotto

San Leonardo in Pianizza di Sotto
San Leonardo in Pianizza di Sotto

The gothic church of San Leonardo was built on the remains of a Roman church and consecrated in 1429. Inside, visitors can admire frescoes from 1360 where one can recognised the Coat of Arms of the Lords of Fuchs.
The church in Pianizza di Sotto is not open to the public.

Santa Caterina in Villa di Mezzo

Santa Caterina in Villa di Mezzo
Santa Caterina in Villa di Mezzo

The gothic church of Santa Caterina was built between 1517 and 1520. On the left side of the altar we can see valuable wall paintings carried out by the Bolzano School around 1414. On the right side of the altar we can admire late gothic depictions of saints.
The church in Villa di Mezzo is not open to the public.