Church "Franziskaner" Kaltern/Caldaro
Address & Contacts
Church "Franziskaner" Kaltern/CaldaroPiazza Rottenburg Platz 39052 Caldaro/KalternAlto Adige/South Tyrol/ITALYT. +39 0471 963169
S. Antonio da Padova: June 13 th
Francesco d’Assisi: October 4th
The first Franciscans came to Bolzano during the lifetime of S. Francesco, probably in 1221. In the framework of the reform guided by Bernardino of Siena a second propagation wave of the Franciscans took place. In this context the monastery foundations of Kaltern were built. Claudia de Medici, Provincial Princess of Tyrol and promoter of the Franciscan movement, donated the ruins of the Rottenburg to the Franciscans, which were destroyed at the beginning of the 15th century. Parts of the garden area for the construction of the church and monastery. At the beginning of the 18th century, the church was expanded to the present state. The image of St. Anthony of Padua on the right-hand side altar is of great importance for piety. The Antonius cycle in the cloister was painted in 1721 by Matthias Pußjäger.
Source: Parrish office KalternContinue reading